Bassist, Arranger & Composer
Herbie Flowers is an English musician specialising in bass guitar, double-bass and tuba. He is highly regarded as one of Britain's best-known session bass-players.
2018 saw him playing bass guitar on the 40th Anniversary UK Arena Tour of "Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of H.G.Wells' War of the Worlds" - which he also played on the original 1976 recording.
In the 40's he played tuba in Tiffin Boys School Band.
In the 50's he played tuba in the RAF Central Band.
In the 60's he formed Blue Mink.
In the 70's he joined T. Rex.
In the 80's he formed Sky with John Williams.
In the 90's he taught bass studies at Ardingly College, Trinity College and the Dartington International Summer School.
This century he's gone back to playing jazz on the double bass, as well as still doing recording sessions, plus the odd after dinner speech about his sixty years in the music business. More name dropping…
He has worked for Bowie (Space Oddity etc), Lou Reed (Transformer), Nilsson (Schmilsson), Henry Mancini (Pink Panther), Sir Elton (Burn Down the Mission), David Essex (Rock On – incidentally, produced by Jeff Wayne), Sir Paul Mac (Give My Regards to Broad Street), George Harrison (Somewhere in England), Ringo (Come Smell the Roses), loads of Dusty’s recordings, Clive Dunn (Grandad – which Herbie composed!! )
Google him for upcoming very popular local Sunday Morning Jazz Breakfasts in the Brighton Corn Exchange, and for details of his "Dome RockShop", an intensive annual week long music course for young musicians aged 14 - 19.
Herbie's Jazz Breakfast
By Herbie Flowers with Beach Without Sand
Old Steine Gardens
Herbie is all set to lead out the team - ably supported by Malcolm Mortimore in the engine room. Meantime the rest of the gang is all here and looking forward to playing for you. Enjoy the superstar talents of the UK's finest Jazz musicians up close and personal, and more than a bit of a chat...
Sunday 30 May 2021 @ 11.00 - 13.00
Sunday 06 June 2021 @ 11.00 - 13.00
Sunday 13 June 2021 @ 11.00 - 13.00
Sunday 20 June 2021 @ 11.00 - 13.00
Sunday 27 June 2021 @ 11.00 - 13.00
Sunday 04 July 2021 @ 11.00 - 13.00
Sunday 11 July 2021 @ 11.00 - 13.00
Tickets: £10.00 - £12.00 (Concessions)
Some of the records Herbie has played on are listed below. Most of these recordings can be found on YouTube (or catch a free snippet on iTunes).
1. The Long And Winding Road (Paul McCartney)
2. No More Lonely Nights (Give My regards To Broad Street)
3. Whole Lotta Love (C.C.S.)
4. The Banner Man (Blue Mink)
5. Eloise (Barry Ryan)
6. Space Oddity (David Bowie)
7. Thank U Very Much (Scaffold)
8. Grandad (Clive Dunn)
9. Melting Pot (Blue Mink)
10. Toccata (SKY)
11. Dandy In The Underworld (T. Rex)
12. Rock On (David Essex)
13. Peter Gunn (Pink Panther - Henry Mancini)
14. Perfect Day (Lou Reed - Transformer)
15. Take A Walk On The Wild Side (Lou Reed - Transformer)
16. Coconut (Harry Nilsson, Nilsson Schmilsson)
17. Rebel Rebel (David Bowie)
18. Hurt By Love (Chris Spedding)
19. Jump Into The Fire (Nilsson Schmilsson)
20. Westway (SKY)
21. Soul Of My Suit - Top Of The Pops (T. Rex 1977)
22. Eve Of The War (Jeff Wayne's 'The War of the Worlds')
23. The Italian Job - Michael Caine (Quincey Jones' Original Film Score)
24. Make You Mine (Rumpelstiltskin 1970)
25. Tuba Smarties (SKY)
26. The Long Good Friday (Frances Monkman - Original Film Score)
27. Wringing Applause (B. A. Robertson)
28. Between The Devil & The Deep Blue Sea (George Harrison & Jools Holland)
29. Beautiful Memories (Bing Crosby)
30. Sir Percy Thrillington (Paul McCartney)
31. Forever Autumn (Justin Hayward - 'The War Of The Worlds')
32. Sportsnight Theme Tune (Tony Hatch)
33. Stop And Smell The Roses (Ringo Starr)
34. Burn Down The Mission (Elton John Tumbleweed Connection)
35. SKY At Westminster Abbey [DVD] (Cherry Red Records)